Branding Ain’t Rocket Science.
If you want to build a company with a nice, friendly, compelling brand, you probably think that you’ll be pitched with terms like DNA, brand promise, manifesto and essence. You may even be exposed to strange concepts like a brand pyramid or ladder, or be swept away with all of the different aspects of brand architecture. Hey, folks, branding doesn’t have to be that way-it ain’t rocket science!
It really is simple. You just have to get people to like you. That’s all. Let’s face it; people do business with people they like. They don’t want to buy their new car from a shyster salesman. And they aren’t going to continue using a dry cleaner that consistency distroys their clothes. So, obviously, you need to start by doing your job. And doing it well. If you do it well enough, you may eventually have people talking about you, in a good way. And that could be the start of building a new brand. So, how do we build that fresh, new brand that will encourage folks to want to do business with you? Believe it or not, it all starts with five simple steps.
- Target market-Know your customers like the back of your hand and what they want from you.
- Your Dominant Value Point (Value Proposition) -What is the one benefit that your market is looking for that is different and better, and your competition can’t, or won’t, duplicate it.
- Tell your story-Prove your Dominant Value Point to your markets beyond a shadow of a doubt.
- WOW your Customer-Make your customer’s experience one that she will never forget and as a result will return again and again.
- Live your brand-Everything you do must reinforce your brand story-every touch point must leave the same massage.
So what’s a touch point? A touch point is any exposure that your customer has to your business. It can be the smiling face of your sales clerk. It’s the inventory that you carry that offers a better selection than anyone else. It’s the cinnamon aroma in your shop. It’s the tie worn by your delivery person. It may even be your hairstyle. (That Mohawk haircut just may not be cutting it with your customers.) These are all touch points and they all have to relay the same message about what kind of company you are. It’s all about consistency.
So that’s it. Get these touch points right, and take the five steps mentioned here. Before you know it, you can have the brand that you’ve always wanted.
Building a great brand is all about keeping it simple. It ain’t rocket science. But, it takes lots of very hard, very smart work.